The Engineering Biology Advisory Committee (EBAC) is composed of industry experts in engineering/synthetic biology and provides a forum for BIA members to discuss and keep abreast of the key issues associated with the rapidly increasing pace with which we can engineer biology.
- Represent the UK engineering biology sector at both the UK and international conferences, including organising a session at the Bioscience Forum
- Coordinate activities with stakeholders across the sector, including the Engineering Biology Leadership Council (EBLC), the Industrial Biotechnology Leadership Forum (IBLF), and the Royal Academy of Engineering.
- Connect with companies working in agricultural and industrial biotech to expand EBAC’s remit.
- Continue to work with funders and civil servants as the UKRI National Engineering Biology Programme is developed further.
- Support BIA lobbying activities through its activities at Parliament Day, the representation of member views concerning UK R&D funding, and new government proposals to modify the regulatory framework for GM activities.
- Continue to inform BIA members on the National Security and Investment Bill and monitor the new regime’s implications on UK engineering biology.
- Inform the BIA’s skills work to ensure the interests and needs of engineering biology companies are represented.
- Help promote engineering biology’s capabilities towards supporting NetZero.
- Support the BIA’s efforts to stop the inclusion of digital sequence information into the Nagoya Protocol, together with IPAC’s Nagoya subcommittee.
- Support the growth and development of SMEs in engineering biology, including facilitating engagement with investors and funders, connecting SMEs with biomanufacturers, and keeping SMEs updated on the regulatory environment.
Arnold & Porter
Centre for Process Innovation
The Centre for Process Innovation is a UK-based technology innovation centre and part of the High Value Manufacturing Catapult.
Chain Biotechnology Ltd
Chain Biotech is a UK start-up company providing synthetic biology tools and underpinning services for the bioscience community.
Engineering Biology Leadership Council
Evonetix is developing a novel, highly disruptive approach to gene synthesis, the technology which underpins the rapidly growing field of synthetic biology.
GSK is a global pharmaceutical company dedicated to helping people feel better, do more and live longer.
Ingenza Ltd. is an industrial biotechnology company based in Roslin, Edinburgh, UK. The company has a broad customer base within the chemicals, pharmaceuticals, food, feed and fuel industries where it applies its proprietary synthetic biology to manufacture industrial products.
Knowledge Transfer Network
LGC is an international science-based company and market leader in analytical, forensic, biotechnology, diagnostic and product services and reference standards.
National Physical Laboratory
Prokarium is a biopharmaceutical company pioneering the field of microbial immunotherapy.
SynbiCITE is a pioneering Innovation and Knowledge Centre (IKC) dedicated to promoting the adoption and use of synthetic biology by industry.
Synthace is an applied synthetic biology company which bioengineers micro-organisms for the production of high value chemical products.
Taylor Wessing is a powerful source of legal support for commercial organisations doing business in and with Europe. With 165 partners and around 1000 staff based principally in the UK and Germany, Taylor Wessing provides the full range of legal services to major corporations and growing enterprises. Highly regarded for its record in corporate and IP transactions, Taylor Wessing has also earned a strong market presence in corporate finance, private equity, real estate finance and inward investment.
Thermo Fisher Scientific
Touchlight Genetics Ltd
Touchlight Genetics is a UK based DNA technology company. We collaborate with leading research institutes to create new DNA therapeutics.