Medical Science Liaison-Metabolic
Reporting to the Associate Medical Director Metabolic Disorders for UK & Ireland
and covering the ascertained region, the MSL will provide scientific and medical leadership and support to all functions within the affiliate to ensure achievement of local objectives and to further the Alexion Global Medical Affairs mission to maximize patient outcomes by setting and continuously advancing the evidence-based medical standard of care. The MSL will serve as a key field-based scientific expert for Metabolic Disorders, to further scientific knowledge sharing, collaboration and insights gathering in the disease area(s).
The ideal candidate demonstrates strong scientific knowledge, medical leadership attitude, is a persuasive communicator of science and has an entrepreneurial spirit with the ability to work collaboratively across a growing organization.
- Provide expert scientific engagement and insights that ultimately contribute to favourable patient outcomes
- Develop and continuously maintain the highest scientific and medical expertise relevant to diseases and products in the disease area, and be acknowledged internally and externally as an expert in these areas
- Contribute to the development of the Disease Plan and implement the local Medical Affairs tactics and strategy, to support best clinical practice and the overall corporate objectives in the relevant franchise
- Work in close partnership with national and strategic account managers to implement effective key account management plans for medical affairs
- Actively engage with UK commercial, Medical Affairs and other functions to ensure the effective local implementation of Alexion strategy and appropriate use of local market intelligence and development opportunities
- Maintain a high level of knowledge of and appropriately implement UK and Ireland pharmaceutical regulations and Alexion policies and procedures
- Build relationships with thought leaders, other healthcare professionals and stakeholders, including patient groups and professional organisations.
- Provide medical insight and strategic input to all Alexion activities, collaborating across functions, including ensuring the highest level of medical education for all Alexion employees to maximize patient outcomes
- Identify and implement appropriate high-impact medical research and RWE projects to support the business objectives, including Alexion –sponsored and investigator-initiated projects
- Support the implementation of advisory boards and other advice seeking activities., as well as high impact medical education activities, such as medical stand-alone meetings, congress symposia, hospital meetings and speaker development programs
- Support the timely and appropriate response to Medical Information enquires, utilising global medical information resources and in line with local regulatory requirements according to local policies
- Ensure a close working relationship with all functions in country, including commercial operations, national/strategic account and marketing teams
- Provide medical direction to the development and delivery of impactful scientific and medical education messages and materials within the therapeutic area,
- In conjunction with Country Operations management and the MACT team, perform clinical study feasibility and support effective study implementation and ongoing management of Alexion sponsored trials, including disease Registries, to achieve recruitment and objectives
- Support cross-functional teams to always ensure patient-focused activities, including rapidly responding to specific internal and external requests to discuss specific situations and challenges and provide Medical Affairs support to relevant stakeholders.
- Conduct, or participate in training programs for the commercial teams and other functions, providing medical leadership, education in line with local and global strategy and to prepare staff to handle interactions with customers
- Attend appropriate national and international meetings and congresses to gather intelligence, increase expertise in the therapy area and to develop relationships with healthcare professionals