Head of Innovation
We are seeking to recruit a Head of Innovation to play a key role in driving this expansion, by working with our partners and stakeholders on strategic R&D and innovation programmes, developing our customer community, delivering a programme of business support that helps create new jobs and economic growth, and playing an active role in growing the wider community.
You will report to the Managing Director of Bruntwood SciTech - Manchester, with a dotted line to Bruntwood SciTech's Innovation Services Director responsible for coordinating Innovation Services across the group. As part of the leadership team in Manchester, you will also work closely with the Heads of Innovation in other regions and the Managing Director of Alderley Park.
This is an exciting opportunity for the right candidate at an important period in the company's development.
- To support and stimulate growth in the knowledge economy in the North West of England, through the development of industry leading Innovation and Business Support services, that act as a magnet to attract leading digital technology and science based companies to the region and support the growth of those companies already working within GM, Cheshire East and our campuses
- To make Manchester and Alderley Park leading destinations for early stage and high growth digital technology businesses by working collaboratively with the local business community, the Universities and public sector partners to grow the sector and develop an engaged and collaborative customer community within our campuses
- To expand the direct provision of and partner support for entrepreneurship, innovation and incubation programmes to drive the future growth of our campuses, and fulfill our strategic remit of accelerating the growth of science and technology companies
What you'll be doing:
Innovation Services Management:
- Working with the Chair and MD, define the Innovation & Business Support services to be delivered to our customers, covering key areas, such as Access to Funding & Finance, Access to Markets, Product Development, Professional Services, Talent & Leadership, based on Bruntwood SciTech's Innovation Services Framework
- Identify and develop partnership opportunities and bids to draw in key investment into our sectors, to grow critical capability and infrastructure within Manchester (for example MSP was a lead partner of CityVerve, a £10m Innovate UK funded IoT City Demonstrator project with over 20 consortia partners).
- Support the development of a strong brand for Innovation Services provision
- Share insight, learning and partnerships within the Bruntwood SciTech network to improve and optimise Innovation Services delivery
- Produce KPI reporting of performance and impact of the Innovation Services delivered based on the Innovation Services KPI framework
- Identify new services and facilities that meet customer and emerging market needs
- Recruit and manage additional resources (e.g. coaches, advisors, mentors, entrepreneurs in residence etc) to assist in the delivery of business support services
- Support companies with access to finance (Grant, Angel, VC, PE, Debt)
Stakeholder and Partner Management:
- Develop, nurture and manage key relationships with our shareholders (University of Manchester, Manchester Metropolitan University, Manchester Foundation Trust, Manchester City Council) and drive collaborations with them
- Raise the profile of Bruntwood SciTech, MSP and Alderley Park and its customers both locally and nationally
- Build and maintain a network of partnerships covering professional services, investors and funding providers, technical and scientific services, and corporates that can benefit customers
- Represent and promote MSP, Circle Square, the Manchester Tech Hub, Alderley Park Glasshouse and SciTech in local, regional and national networks, organisations and events
- Develop and implement projects to stimulate links between Tech Hubs, and other relevant organisations focused on technology-based business growth
- Manage the MiIDEA co-innovation Centre in partnership with Cisco
Customer Relationships & Support:
- Schedule regular meetings with customers and partners as required to understand their goals and needs in order to introduce them to appropriate partners that can assist them (e.g. by providing access to funding, resources, expertise, NHS/Academic Institutions and markets etc)
- Share customer / partner intelligence with relevant team members and ensure key information about customers' businesses, details of meetings/events attended, ad hoc support and introductions made are captured on systems
Our event model has been developed and refined over many years and attracts high quality partners, speakers and content.
- Curate an industry leading programme of sectorally relevant events, that support the development of our sectors. These events will predominantly run in partnership with industry and partners.
- Ensure the programme is promoted effectively by working with the Community Engagement Manager and the Marketing team to drive attendance from both customers and external audiences.
Go to Market Strategy & Prospecting:
- Shape and develop in collaboration with external partners and internal team members sectoral prospecting strategies, to support the growth of the Manchester cluster and Alderley Park
- Identify potential leads and enquiries through your networks, and provide sector expertise to support the onboarding of new customers and partners to the Manchester cluster
- Meet and pitch to new prospective customer businesses and partners to support the onboarding of new customers and to identify opportunities for the Innovation Services team to support the customer (access to resources, relationships, partners, services etc...)
What we're looking for:
- Advising and supporting tech start-ups and having a positive impact on their growth
- Understanding of the culture and operation of a wide range of organisations (e.g. Universities, NHS, Corporates)
- Science and Innovation, public policy or advisory experience
- A strong network of relationships within the digital tech community
- Building and managing effective strategic partnerships
- A keen interest and understanding of the digital tech sectors
- Undergraduate degree (ideally Business, PPE, Science or other related discipline)
- Delivering high quality events programmes
- Sector skills development and STEAM initiatives
- Exceptional people and collaboration skills, capable of building relationships and coordinating multiple stakeholders across different companies at mid and senior levels
- Ability to identify partnership opportunities and catalyse innovation
- Good presenter to both small and large audiences
- Ability to deal with ambiguity and manage groups of individuals with different objectives
- A 'can do, will do' attitude, and be prepared to create and drive change
- Good organisational and planning abilities
- Good commercial skills and business acumen
- Willing to think differently and try out new ideas
- Ability to execute initiatives with attention to detail
At Bruntwood we work hard to create an exceptional experience for our colleagues. As well as a competitive salary, we offer all the benefits you'd expect from a successful, established business (like an 8% matched pension scheme, private healthcare and an employee shares scheme) as well as some quirky benefits you'd get at in a progressive, people focused company (like free healthy breakfasts, birthday leave and access to fitness classes). Working in an agile way, we give you the chance to work in our state-of-the-art workspaces. Above all, you'll be joining a team full of passionate people who are brilliant to work with.
We offer you more than the opportunity to work. We offer you the chance to shape your world. Apply today:
This role is paying a competitive salary.
Bruntwood is an equal opportunity employer.