Head of Science & Innovation
We are now seeking to recruit a new Head of Science and Innovation to shape and drive the delivery of science services, innovation support and community engagement for our life sciences customers through the local ecosystem of partnerships.
The core of the role is to boost jobs and economic growth in the region and the sector, by managing relationships with partners and stakeholders, driving engagement within our customer community and collaboration with our partners through events and innovation support, and to actively grow the wider science community at Alderley Park, CityLabs in Manchester and the North of the UK.
You will primarily report to the Managing Director - Alderley Park along with Bruntwood SciTech’s Innovation Services Director responsible for coordinating Innovation Services across the network. You will manage the Science Services team at Alderley Park, the delivery of Business Support by the BioCity team and will work closely with Bruntwood SciTech’s Heads of Innovation in other cities. In addition, you will oversee Innovation
Services for life sciences customers at Citylabs in Manchester, working with the Managing Director – Manchester.
This is an exciting opportunity for the right candidate at a key time in the company’s development, as Bruntwood SciTech continues to expand and scale.
Part of the Alderley Park Management team, the purpose of the role is to deliver science services, innovation support and community engagement in Alderley Park and at Citylabs to ensure we remain the leading destination for life science businesses in the UK.
What you’ll be doing:
Science Services Management:
- Define and deliver the business plan for Alderley Park Science Services, taking responsibility for all strategic and managerial aspects
- Be accountable for the future strategic direction of the services, creating, planning and driving new business lines to grow existing Alderley Park customers and attract future customers to the campus
- Have overall accountability for P&L and governance for the science services function, working closely with the finance team and the wider Bruntwood organisation
- Lead stakeholder relationships and contract management of key science services delivery partner organisations (e.g. Agenda Life Sciences, Medicines Discovery Catapult, Waters, Cytiva)
Innovation Services Management:
- Have overall accountability for budget and governance for the Innovation Services function, working closely with the finance team
- Lead the relationship with BioCity and define the scope of services delivered to customers in Alderley Park and Citylabs based on Bruntwood SciTech’s Innovation Services Framework
- Manage the BioCity budget and delivery performance against the agreed scope of services provision
- Coordinate activity to raise corporate and grant funding to deliver additional Innovation Services, then manage the delivery of these services
- Share insight, learning and partnerships with other locations in the Bruntwood SciTech network to improve and optimise the services delivered at Alderley Park, Citylabs and across the Bruntwood SciTech network
- Produce KPI reporting of performance and impact of the Innovation Services delivered based on the Bruntwood SciTech Innovation Services KPI framework
- Identify new services and facilities that meet customer and emerging market needs
- Support the development of a strong reputation for Bruntwood SciTech’s Innovation Services
Stakeholder and Partner Management:
- Raise the profile of Alderley Park, Citylabs and its customers within the wider and life sciences and technology sectors
- Build and maintain a network of partnerships covering professional services, investors and funding providers, technical and scientific services, and corporates that can benefit customers
- Represent and promote Alderley Park and Citylabs in local, regional and national networks, organisations and events
- Develop and implement projects to stimulate links between Bruntwood SciTech and other relevant organisations focused on science and technology-based business growth
- Oversee the curation and promotion of regular events and workshops based on the needs of customers and the wider external community which are then run by the Events Managers as part the Events Calendars at Alderley Park and Citylabs
Alderley Park Management Team:
- Support the achievement and delivery of Bruntwood SciTech’s commercial and development strategies for Alderley Park and Ciylabs through your networks by competitor insight and local sector research
- Identify potential leads and enquiries through your networks, and provide sector expertise to support the Commercial team with closing new agreements to achieve their targets
- Review new customer businesses prior to agreement completion to ensure that they meet Bruntwood SciTech’s entry criteria
- Be an active member of the Alderley Park Senior Management Team and deputise for the Managing Director.
What we’re looking for:
- A broad background in biomedical science and a Ph.D. (or equivalent experience)
- Proven experience of creating, managing, and monitoring delivery plans and budgets
- Management experience with proven ability to lead, motivate and develop direct reports, and colleagues within a matrixed environment
- Management of complex stakeholder relationships
- A strong network of relationships within the life science community
- A deep understanding of the challenges of growing and scaling a business
- Advising and supporting life science start-ups and having a positive impact on their growth
- Understanding of the culture and operation of with a wide range of organisations (e.g. Universities, NHS, Corporates)
- Building and managing effective strategic partnerships
- A keen interest and understanding of health and life sciences, including digital technologies and current developments in the field
- Exceptional people and collaboration skills, capable of building relationships and coordinating multiple stakeholders across different companies at mid and senior levels
- Self-awareness and a high level of professionalism
- Good presenter to both small and large audiences
- Ability to deal with ambiguity and manage groups of individuals with different objectives
- A ‘can do, will do’ attitude, and be prepared to create and drive change
- Planning and organising/prioritisation skills, with experience of balancing and responding to different demands, and the ability to deliver at high quality and pace against multiple priorities
- Good commercial skills and business acumen
- Willing to think differently and try out new ideas
- Ability to execute initiatives with attention to detail
- Previous laboratory experience (desired)
At Bruntwood we work hard to create an exceptional experience for our colleagues. As well as a competitive salary, we offer all the benefits you’d expect from a successful, established business (like an 8% matched pension scheme, private healthcare and an employee shares scheme) as well as some quirky benefits you’d get in a progressive, people focused company (like free healthy breakfasts, birthday leave and access to fitness classes). Working in an agile way, we give you the chance to work in our state-of-the-art workspaces. Above all, you’ll be joining a team full of passionate people who are brilliant to work with.
We offer you more than the opportunity to work. We offer you the chance to shape your world. Apply today:
This role is paying a competitive salary.
Bruntwood is an equal opportunity employer.