The BIA Manufacturing Advisory Committee (MAC) supports the growth of the UK R&D, clinical and commercial manufacturing and supply chain sector to continue to build and enhance biopharmaceutical manufacturing and associated industries.
MAC has a significant presence on the Medicines Manufacturing Industry Partnership (MMIP), which reports at the Ministerial level, bringing the whole UK industry together to drive UK competitiveness in medicines manufacturing. The committee is networked into Catapults, supporting the skills strategy of the Cell and Gene Therapy Catapult, and UK Centres of Excellence.
MAC is responsible for the scientific programme each year for one of the BIA's successful flagship events - the bioProcessUK Conference.
The committee has reviewed and responded to several manufacturing-related consultations from the European Commission and contributes to the MHRA GMP/GDP Consultative Committee. It also played a key role in the BIA Covid-19 Expert Advisory Group that feeds into the HMG Vaccines Taskforce.
- 30 members spanning biologics, vaccines and cell & gene therapies cross-pollinating expertise and best practice through networking and site visits
- Engage Complex Medicines communities
- Engage Sustainable Biotech companies
- Deliver another successful programme for the 2023 bioProcessUK conference
Support medicines manufacturing sustainability towards Net Zero
Assist in delivering a national skills provision for biomanufacturing for global impact:
- Expansion of the very successful ISCF funded ATS programme led by Cell and Gene Therapy (CTG) Catapult
- Leadership skills delivery through the popular BIA MAC LeaP initiative, broadening the concept to other Committees
- Act as key pan-industry stakeholder within Life Sciences Vision:
- Several MAC members represent the voice of the biologics/cell and gene therapy sector on the MMIP Leadership Team and workstreams, seeking wider MAC contribution when appropriate
- Deliver next-generation analytics and associated data strategic vision for industry
- Provide expert advice on the development of new UK and international standards (working group with CGTAC and others)
BIA MAC Leadership Programme (MAC LeaP)
The BIA MAC LeaP programme supports the development and training of managers in the biopharmaceutical and cell & gene therapy industries through cross-sector learning and peer networks.
BIA Manufacturing Community
BIA Manufacturing Community aims to engage BIA members with an active interest in biomanufacturing (companies already on MAC and companies who are not part of MAC). Members of this community will receive email updates and will be invited to participate in working groups and events. They will also be in line for joining MAC or other interest groups as the manufacturing community develops.
Advanced Therapies Apprenticeship Community (ATAC)
ATAC was established to develop apprenticeship programmes designed specifically to train and upskill individuals to develop, manufacture and deliver advanced therapies, vaccines and biologics at scale. The programme currently supports over 230 apprentices from 45 organisations across science, digital, engineering and leadership disciplines addressing critical skills gaps in our sector. MAC supports this programme, coordinated by the CGT Catapult.
In partnership with the CGT Catapult & KTN, MAC held a workshop in June 2019 to discuss key challenges, barriers and opportunities for the development and integration of analytical technologies to support advanced manufacturing. Representatives of large pharma, SMEs, biopharma, technology developers, national measurement laboratories, RTOs & CDMO/CROs discussed what analytical innovation is needed to accelerate growth within the industry.
Members of BIA MAC