BIA exchanges member directories with Japanese leader in regenerative medicine
The UK Bioindustry Association (BIA) has exchanged member directories with The Forum for Innovative Regenerative Medicine (FIRM). The exchange took place on Friday 11 October at BioJapan, in Yokohama, and follows the signing of a Memorandum of Understanding earlier this year.
The agreement will enable collaboration between Japanese and UK companies in regenerative medicine and cell and gene therapies.
As part of the agreement, the BIA and FIRM have created directories - in both Japanese and English - of member companies engaged in regenerative medicine. Information from the twenty-one members of the BIA’s Cell and Gene Therapy Advisory Committee are included in the BIA directory.
Steve Bates OBE, Chief Executive of the BIA said: “UK companies are at the forefront of cell and gene therapies. The signing of this Memorandum of Understanding earlier this year and the exchanging of directories will allow UK cell and gene companies the opportunity to highlight their work to a Japanese audience.
“I am also pleased to affirm our partnership with FIRM, which has led to the production of this document, which we hope will support FIRM’s engagement with UK companies.
Nicky Edwards, Director of External Affairs at the BIA said: “It was a great honour to attend BIO Japan in Yokohama and exchange member directories with FIRM, on behalf of the BIA and our member companies. Japan has a history of innovation in regenerative medicine and a national commitment to a future of global scientific excellence. There is a strong track-record of partnership working in regenerative medicine between UK and Japanese companies. We hope that this shared directory will enable Japanese and UK companies to work co-operatively to solve problems and accelerate mutual commercial outcomes that generate health and wealth gains for our respective countries.”
Notes to editors
- Find the FIRM directory here: https://www.bioindustry.org/uploads/assets/uploaded/64ebd41d-4219-40ee-8aa57f0be001f7bb.pdf (Only BIA members can access this information so your username and password will be required)
- Find the BIA directory here: https://www.bioindustry.org/uploads/assets/uploaded/f54e89d6-c7f9-49d4-9391e82e5b31ea0b.pdf
- The BIA launched a joint report with the Alliance of Regenerative Medicines in June 2019, which set out the scope of the UK’s robust and growing Advanced Therapy Medicinal Products (ATMPs) sector. The report can be found here: BIA ARM report
- To find out more about Cell and Gene Therapies please view this link.
- The BIA’s Cell and Gene Therapy Advisory Committee (CGTAC) represents the majority of the UK’s regenerative medicine industry with over 30 UK companies (SMEs and big pharma). Key organisations including the Cell and Gene Therapy Catapult, the Knowledge Transfer Network (KTN) and Innovate UK. Find out more: Cell and Gene Therapy Advisory Committee (CGTAC)
- To find out more about FIRM please click here: Forum for Innovative Regenerative Medicine
- For more information, please contact BIA Communications Executive Shannon Quinney, firstname.lastname@example.org or 02076302201
About the BIA
Established over 25 years ago at the infancy of biotechnology, the BioIndustry Association (BIA) is the trade association for innovative life sciences in the UK. Our goal is to secure the UK's position as a global hub and as the best location for innovative research and commercialisation, enabling our world-leading research base to deliver healthcare solutions that can truly make a difference to people's lives.