Global and growing - UK biotech financing in 2019
New figures published today (Wednesday 22 January 2020) by the UK BioIndustry Association (BIA) and Informa Pharma Intelligence reveal that the UK biotech sector raised £1.3 billion in 2019. The total is the third highest year recorded by the trade association and since 2012 investment has increased by over 400%.
Highlights from the report, include:
- A total of £1.3bn was raised by UK-based biotech companies in 2019
- Over £679m was raised in venture capital, £64m was raised in Initial Public Offerings (IPOs) and £596m in all other public financings
- The sector has enjoyed five consecutive years of raising over £1billion plus of investment
- The UK remains the leading cluster in Europe for amounts raised through venture capital, accounting for a quarter (26%) of the continent’s total
- Long term growth of over 400% since 2012 has cemented the UK’s position as the third global life sciences cluster